Snacking in my opinion is extremely important. I am always snacking, nibbling, munching..I eat every 2-3 hours!
The benefits of snacking are endless! We should all be snacking because it prevents hunger which in turn stops us making unhealthy food choices for the rest of the day. There is also evidence to suggest that eating regularly can actually promote weight loss, boost concentration and improve our mood.
Hold on though this isn’t me encouraging people to snack on whatever they wish, be sensible with your snacking. A good balance of healthy and naughty treats didn’t hurt anyone and after all food is one of life’s pleasure so enjoy!
However if we want to be healthier or trying to lose weight, below are some smart snack ideas which will keep people feeling fuller for longer and are quick, easy to prepare and perfect for busy schedules.
1) Hard boiled eggs- Full of protein and good fats. Pop them in some tupperware and carry them in your bag.
2) Plain almonds, cashews or peanuts a handful say 20-25g is a good amount. Nuts are healthy but are also high in calories so weighing these will keep portion size under control.
3) A chicken or tuna salad- This may seem like a second lunch but this is a great source of protein and other nutrients to keep you full. Perfect if you are going to the gym after work. (I would add some rice, quinoa or couscous to this if you are training in a few hours as you will need the carbs!)
4) Rice cakes, oatcakes or dark ryvita topped with cottage cheese, humous or peanut butter.
I highly recommend Whole Earth nut butters, they are delicious,made with sustainable palm oil and have no added sugar!
6) Greek yogurt with blueberries or any other forest fruits, topped flaked almonds or hazelnuts and a drizzle of honey is a lovely snack for those with a sweet tooth.
7) If you forget to pack a snack pop to local supermarket and grab some pre-cooked chicken. This will keep you feeling full until your next meal.
I would recommend having a snack mid morning at around 11am and another one mid afternoon at about 3:30pm. This will keep your blood sugar levels stable and prevents those horrid hunger pangs.
Let me know if you try this and how it made you feel during the day?